This is a post I recorded on my YouTube Channel. It was Part two of a two part series. Part one, can be seen on my YT channel Deepak Saini Health and don’t forget to subscribe.
This Blog Post is about Past Year Reviews. This is a concept I learned about from Tim Ferriss, so all credit to him.
Some people find Past Year Reviews more informed, valuable and actionable than goal setting and certainly more so than resolutions, which I hate and most people break anyways.
This is what the process looks like:
1. Garb a paper or notebook and create two columns: Positive and Negative
2. Review your calendar from last year, looking at each week
3. For each week, write down the people, activities, or commitments that triggered high positive or negative emotions for that month. Put those down in the proper columns.
4. Once you’ve gone through the whole year, review your list and ask yourself, ‘What 20% of each column produced the most reliable or powerful highs?”
5. Based on what you come up with, take your “positive” leaders and schedule more of them in the New Year. Book them in your calendar now! Book things with friends and family and even go so far as to prepay for activities/ events/ commitments that you know will work. Remember, its not real unless its in your calendar. That is the first part. The second part is to take your “negative” leaders, put “NOT-TO-DO LIST” at the top, and put them somewhere where you can see them each day for the first few months of 2021. These are the people and things you “know” make you miserable, so don’t put them on your calendar out of obligation, guilt, fear of missing out, or other nonsense.
Remember, it is not enough to remove the negative, that simply creates a hole, fill your calendar with the positive as soon as possible so you don’t get crowed out with BS that otherwise would fill your day.
This is the first time I have attempted this exercise. For the positives, I found it useful to go through my gratitude journal as well.
A couple of the things on my positive list were: going bike riding or to the park with my kids, and standup paddle boarding with friends or clients and reading at the beach. So I am going to try and do those things more.
I have plenty of negatives too. To protect the innocent, I won’t elaborate any more than to say remove or limit the people who add no joy to my life. Maybe it is just me, but if there is one thing that 2020 highlighted was how some people truly are. Life is too short to engage with people who do not share my values.
If there is anything on your Positives List that you want to do more of or to rekindle in your Health, Performance and Longevity, then let’s have a conversation, perhaps I can serve you or steer you to someone who can.
Don’t forgot to subscribe to my YT channel Deepak Saini Health to never miss out.
I would love to hear about your positives and negatives lists, add them to the comments.
Here’s to a Productive 2021! Cheers!